As students in high school, we always noticed how belongings of others would often go missing. In order to combat this long existing problem we needed to secure our items through technology. As both students who have lost many objects such as jackets, phones, and a lot more felt contrived to resolve this problem as it still continues to persists amongst us today. While we may be in high school, and derived our problem from our school, in many aspects this problem continues to exist in many more communities.

What it does

Trace.It serves to provide people with a sense of security with their daily items they may use varying from phones to jackets to boxes, and much more. This app serves to help people around the community through a real time update if any of your objects has been collected by someone's. Giving a detailed report to the user on the object varying from the last seen address to being able to retrieve it through the application, the app has several applications in terms of ensuring peoples belongings.

How I built it

The primary concept the app was built on revolved around a QR Code system that ensured security to our users item while maintaining privacy which would be a primary concern for this app. Thus, these objects were attributed with unique ID's generated by our algorithm to preserve privacy, but also make it convenient to the user to have a clear understanding on which items they owned. Thus, using a vast amount of API's from the internals of HTML to Google's API's & Backend, and etc provided us for a vast amount of exploration within our application. Thus, while wanting to ensure functionality of the app, we valued the interface in which we presented ourselves to our users as simplicity would provide the users with a clear design model. With the idea of this Hackathon revolving around the theme of going above, and beyond: we truly wanted to suffice a major problem that many of us all over the world face together and attempt to solve it through technology.

Challenges I ran into

Challenges that we ran into, primarily raised concerns when we wanted to ensure that users would be able to get notified when their own, specific QR code, was scanned by another user. Setting up this model, was quite complicated in the database and rose to many complications around the manipulation of the users data within the app, and furthermore with the more complex functionalities we inputted.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

I think at the end of the day, we are most proud of working on something neither of us had much of a big expertise on, but rather that we wanted to solve a problem concerning our society being students at the same time. Using different API's and technologies was an intimidating task at first, but as we dived ourselves deeper into the problem with our own solution, we truly felt compelled to make a lasting difference to this problem.

What I learned

We learned more about how to integrate a database with unconventional data types such as QR codes to ultimately use such a commonly used code to solve a problem of mass scale. However, the process of learning how to integrate a QR code into our application to help us find users specifically was challenging as our app had to work in different multitudes to suffice this goal.

Share this project: