Inspiration

We have been building command line games and projects for class with C and C+ but we wanted to push ourselves to do something graphical and make a UI that's more interesting than ASCII. So we decided to build this.

What it does

It's a simple top-down tile-based game engine that allows us to quickly make puzzles.

How we built it

We started out by figuring out how SDL works. Then, we all got together and planned out our classes, objects, and figured out our algorithms. Once we knew what we needed to program, we split up the work based on our strengths and wrote our individual parts. Last, we linked our parts up and fixed any bugs.

Challenges we ran into

Learning how SDL works and using it was probably the biggest challenge. It took about 2 hours to get our environments set up. Then writing code and using their documentation was our next step. Being new to using non-standard libraries, learning code from someone else's documentation was pretty tricky.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

The whole thing. We were all surprised that we made the majority of a game in just under 16 hours.

What we learned

We learned a great deal about linking, importing, and using libraries we were unfamiliar with. Additionally, connecting work from other people required us to think ahead and write more modular code so that we could avoid merge conflicts and debug.

What's next for Tile-Based-Movement-System

Add classes for enemies, environment objects, and interactions.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates