Status page of the app. It stores the actual status of the user and then modify it on the live map.
From the status of Safely users', the dynamic map shows were are the danger zones around you.
Using the dynamic map, you can zoom out and see more information regarding your neighborhood and city.
Safely is a social-based pandemic monitoring application for reporting and tracking precise geolocations of COVID-19 cases.
Do you want to learn more about Safely?
- With COVID-19 spreading rapidly there are not enough resources to find or report the exact geographical information about new cases.
- People at risk may want to avoid specific locations with a lot of cases.
- Help agencies want to know where to send resources.
- Tracking COVID-19 can be especially difficult in developing countries with weaker infrastructure.
What it does
Safely allows users to report their own condition, be it healthy, symptomatic, diagnosed or recovered along with their geolocation.
Safely allows users to see which areas around them are at risk for contagion on a map. This is based on the shade of the regions displayed on the map. Symptomatic users have lighter shades then diagnosed patients and regions with a high concentration of affected users show up as darker shades because regions overlap.
How we built it
We created a Safely application that currently runs on Android. In the app, users can create an account, report, or update their status. We use a Google Firebase database to securely store user data. To show the user where high-risk areas are around them we created a custom map renderer displaying all the databases known locations of affected users. This is done using Google Firebase’s Map API.
Challenges we ran into
- Linking Google Fireplace API to Microsoft's Xamarin.
- We had no prior knowledge of Xaml.
- Implementing map and figure out a way to display where the cases are.
- Certain Google map functionalities were not available in the Xamarin packages
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Comprehensive user experience, elegant design, and very functional app.
- This is our first working Android app.
- If used properly and further developed, we believe Safely could actually make a difference.
What we learned
- Groundwork of app development
- Cloud database handling
- The fundamentals of cybersecurity
- A deeper understanding of servers
- How to handle geolocation
What's next for Safely
Regarding the work needed immediately, increasing the security of the app should be a priority. Once we managed to have rock-solid security, making the app public and spreading it around is our greatest bet to use this project against COVID-19.
We are aware that the COVID-19 situation won't last forever, but we know our app has the potential for further usages.
- It could either be a more sophisticate version of what it currently is, where usage of AI and deep learning could help find patterns of outbreaks and study how to flatten the curve even more.
- It could also be used in order to deal with emergency responses (ie. use geo-location to find and help people at risk around the world in situations of crisis such as earthquakes or war zones).