Sometimes it's hard to know what people are thinking. Poll Pal is there to help you quickly get an idea of what a group of people feel about a certain question. Maybe you're looking for feedback after a presentation, or asking a group of friends where they want to eat, or even asking an audience to vote on the best hackathon submission!
What it does
Anyone can go to the website and create a poll for others to participate in.
From the homepage, we can choose to create a new poll or join an existing one.
If you choose to create a new poll - They can choose the question of the poll, the options for people to pick from, and even change the type of voting method. You can also choose a session name, so other people can find and vote on this poll. And finally you have a password, so you can edit the poll after creation.
You can join an existing poll by typing in the unique session ID. If you join an existing poll, you will be shown the poll question, as well as the options you have to pick from. Once you have made your selection, you hit the vote button and your vote is submitted and stored on the server.
On the poll results page, you can see the current results for any specific poll! These are retrieved from the server and will update as new results come in.
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
- Styling the CSS of the pages served
- Learning pug
- Wrapping everything up and join together all the parts that people made
- Having enough time to do everything!
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Making a functioning website! Learning new skills Learning a bit more about node js/express js Working together as a great team
What we learned
- How to set up a domain name - pollpal.net
- Hashing passwords to keep them secure
What's next for Poll Pal
- Add ability to ask more than one question.
- Option to email you the results
- Show the results as a nice graph or chart
- Export the results, e.g. to an excel file