Many people are struggled to save money due to following reasons:
- Lack of good understanding of personal finance
- Not having a budget plan
- Not planning for future (e.g. prepared For Emergencies And Unexpected Expenses)
What it does
Penni is an app that helps users to track their financial activities and stay on the track of their budget plan. By following the budget plan, users grow virtual pets and earn coins, which can then be saved up and used to purchase items for their pets, such as food, clothing, and accessories etc.
- Real-time financial activities through integration with a personal banking system.
- Custom goals and challenges to help users stay on track with their financial plan.
- Virtual pet and shop to get users involved with pet caring as well as wealth growing.
- Track real-time financial activities and provide customized budget plan through integration of the banking system.
- Get users motivated to follow the budget plans by earning rewards.
- Encourage users to reach their financial future goals and build smart money habits by completing the quests.
- Responsibility in pet ownership to keep users staying on track of the plan.
How we built it
- We had a brainstorming session to explore new ideas.
- We voted the most interesting idea and did research on the relevant domain and competitive analysis.
- Then we jammed on the unique feature ideas. Our designers started designing characters and building wireframes, while developers worked on choosing tech stack and begin to build models, components and interfaces.
- We worked together towards the same goal and tried to get the work done in timely and iterative manner.
- Wrapped up, made presentation and demo.
Challenges we ran into
- Come up with a unique idea in a limited time.
- Identify the problem to solve and potential opportunities.
- Decide on what feature to keep and what features to put aside for the MVP.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Good team collaboration and communication
- Apply gamification to solve a real life problem
- Having fun while working
What we learned
- Learned how gamification can help improve boring/difficult activities in life
- Learned new skills and techniques to tackle the new problems
- Learned how to collaborate with different roles and people
- Learned how to prioritize the tasks
What's next for penni
- Collaborate with financial institution to promote their products and services to users
- Enhance data visualization and immersed gaming elements
- Add social networking features (e.g. joint quests with friends) to strengthen competitivity
- Provide personal financial tips and suggestions based on user’s activities