Our application was inspired by two articles published by the Daily Tarheel, which detailed the troubles that those with disabilities can face while traversing campus. Those with limited mobility may find their regular routes to class obstructed by construction, maintenance, or other impedances. We sought to create an application where the community can aid one another in reporting these route outages so that those with conditions impairing their mobility (or any person in general) could be better informed about changes to the campus walkways.

What it does

Mobility allows users to pinpoint a location on the UNC campus, mark this location as impeding a walkway, and offer users the ability to generate routes that go around such disturbances. Note that we created our own search algorithm from scratch, scraping low-level OpenStreetMap data and computing a complex building/walkway connectivity map to narrow an extremely large search space.

How we built it

We built our application using React, HTML, JS, CSS, and Bootstrap on the front end. On the back end, we utilized the Flask Python framework.

Challenges we ran into

We ran into many challenges while developing this app. Grabbing the data about the campus' buildings and roads was the first. From there, creating an algorithm that would pair walkways with buildings also proved difficult. We encountered issues in every step of the development process, but that is to be expected and we are glad that we overcame them.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We are proud that we put together a cohesive product while each of us utilized technologies we had no previous experience with.

What we learned

Jaden - I learned how to manage time, how to stay calm in the presence of stress, graph theory, and how mappings work. Amanda - I learned react and some backend skills. Robert - I learned how to use mapping tools, more knowledge about Bootstrap CSS, how to effectively work with a team under pressure, and general design skills.

What's next for Mobility

The reliability could be improved, the options available to users could be increased, and the general scale of the app could be increased.

Share this project: