During the feeding frenzy
Multi-touch player screen
Download and play at GreedyGreedyGrizzlies.com!
In Greedy Greedy Grizzlies you are a greedy grizzly bear trying to eat the most in preparation for a long winter. Don’t eat the wrong thing or you will vomit. Eat the most during the time period to win.
The experience is inspired by the childhood game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. We wanted to create a similar fast and frantic game with a layer of strategy and adaptability that can only exist in a multi-user multi-touch digital format.
How we built it
The game is built in Unity as a Windows-based full screen application with a focus on multi-user multi-touch interaction. Player count is determined by multi-user multi-touch usage and game play itself is dependent on localized multi-touch capabilities to support 2-4 players.
Challenges we ran into
- Designing a multi-user friendly UI on single screen
- Logic to support multi-user interaction. Our app only requires very simple user interation like pointerdown and tap, but it will be more challenging to support more complicated gestures for a multi-user setup.
- Time was the biggest challenge. For our game, we only had one week to develop the idea from start to end. Interaction design, 3D model build, visual design, and gameplay programming and development all occurred over the span of five days.
Accomplishments that we are proud of
- We were able to create a fun and exciting quick pick-up game in only a week.
- Multi-user multi-touch interaction lends itself to social-centric experiences like board games.
What we learned
- How to develop multi-user application on single touch screen.
- Grizzlies are greedy.
What's next for Greedy Greedy Grizzlies
There are so many possibilities for adding more fun factor this game. Some things we are considering:
- More character variety!
- Offer strategic game play differences between characters!
- Add more power up and power down challenges!
- Add network play!