Inspiration

This was influenced from an exercise I did in college from the 10th edition of Daniel Liang's Introduction to Java Programming, where it was some kind of game to be built with the Java Swing and AWT packages.

What it does

It's a one-level, simple phone-based game where all you do is take down a bunch of enemies and destroy them all before they destroy you. *You need a gyroscope built into your phone to build this. And when the application starts, immediately hold the phone sideways and level, because the game starts right away. *

How I built it

I used Unity 5.4.0f3 to place the many different game elements around. The programming was done using the Unity API, C#, and Visual Studio 2015. A little bit of modelling with Blender was used to build a couple of primitive models that Unity, by default, does not provide.

Challenges I ran into

I ran into some trouble primarily with the input from the phone, because I wanted to use tilt and accelerometers from the phone to move the cannon from side to side and rotate the cannon barrel. I ran into some trouble with the accelerometers, so upon reading one forum post, someone mentioned about the use of gyroscopes. So I decided to experiment with it on my Nexus 5 phone. Even though it does not behave the way I was hoping for, I was still able to provide some input based on tilt.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

I have at least a suitable small-scale version of some kind of game that I want to try to build a full-scale version out of for the Nintendo Wii U and publish it to the Nintendo eShop. The Android version of this game does work differently from the Wii U, but I'm glad that I was able to come up with something and build up so quickly.

What I learned

In order for the phone to register a landscape orientation to be no rotation, there has to be more than just using a gyroscope.

What's next for GPD Sliding Cannon

I need to go to Unity Forums and make a post to probably the Work-In-Progress category, or the Scripting category, and demonstrate some of the problems I run into with the controls for the cannon. When that's done, I may want to add a couple more waves of enemies. But otherwise, I think I have a suitable level on this project to upload and present it to my connections I have from Nintendo's development program, which holds the resources needed to build games for the Wii U and 3DS. If I get some good input from there, then it'll be on hold for a little while for me to learn more about Unity and video game development mechanics before I work out the finances for this project.

Built With

Share this project:
×

Updates