After brainstorming on Friday, the best parts of several ideas (image processing, augmented reality, etc.) were put together to create the final product.
What it does
- Take a selfie on the phone!
- The selfie will be sent to a server for processing using OpenCV to identify the person in the image
- The image is sent back to the phone with just the person's cutout as a png and the user is ready to be transported to a whole new world!
- Select one of our destinations to travel to
- Ta-Da! You've made it. Swivel the camera around to view the entire area and where you want to position yourself for a photo.
- Want to keep the memory? Take a screen shot & save your adventure :)
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
One of the largest challenges we faced with having to adjust the scale of our application. At first, we wanted to overlay the live video of the user and put them into streetview. As our time came to a close, we ended up settling for an image overlayed on streetview, which is still really cool!
Accomplishments that we're proud of
A finished product! Seriously, this took a lot of work & we're really proud of the fact that all of these difficult concepts were combined into one.
What we learned
React-Native does not play well with fetching from a server if you are trying to avoid blobs. We finally overcame the challenge by changing the file format that was being sent to and from the server.
What's next for FAKE-A-tion
For our team - Sleep! In the future, however, it'd be awesome to incorporate the live video.