This Project was made to help the City of San Jose's Department of Transportation to move closer to "Vision Zero San Jose"
"Vision Zero San Jose" - Moving toward zero traffic deaths and providing safe streets for all, as soon as possible.
The city of San Jose's Department of Transportation currently has no system for residents to submit dangerous driving behavior that have potential to cause traffic accidents and fatalities.
Engineers of the city streets are trying to understand the behavior of drivers when they perform dangerous driving on roads that were built to follow street standards.
There is a Data Gap that Department of Transportation lacks to analyze causes of top dangerous driving behavior that lead to fatalities such as:
- Drunk Driving
- Running Red Lights
- Ignore Traffic Signs
We took features/concepts from Yelp, Waze, and Uber to make our application easy to use and have a proper rating & user feedback system.
What it does
We created an application that allows city residents to submit dangerous activity that occurs in streets & intersections. We also have an administrative view of seeing the overall user submitted data.
This allows the Department of Transportation to view the overall data of streets and intersections to understand driver behavior involving the cause of accidents according to dangerous activity reported.
How we built it
- User logs in application using Google Authentication
- User is presenting with a map of their current location and nearby rated streets & intersections
- User Interaction
- Select Asset (Street or Intersection)
- Views Street Address
- Select Dangerous Driving Behavior from list of Categories
- Add Comment
- Submit Report which updates the rating of street/intersection
- Administrator is able to add new assets by creating Geofencing/Polylines on Streets & Intersections
- Able to see overall map view of all assets
- Able to view rating/status of assets
- Red = rating 1; Drunk Driving, Speeding, Reckless Driving, and Drivers ran Red Light here, Drivers Ignored Traffic Signs, Miscellaneous reports
- Blue = rating 2-3; Speeding, Reckless Driving, and Drivers ran Red Light here, Drivers Ignored Traffic Signs, Miscellaneous reports
- Green = rating 4-5; Drivers Ignored Traffic Signs, Miscellaneous reports
- Google Authentication allows user to view NodeJS application
- RESTAPI calls to mySQL database
- mySQL database holds 2 tables
- asset | asset_id, asset_name, asset_type, total_number, user_rating, location
- user | user_id, username, asset_id, user_rating, comment, timestamp
- Polyline/Geofencing is presented as a new layer on top of map that represent an asset (street or intersection)
- When asset is updated by the user, it calls to RESTAPI to perform an update/insert query in mySQL database
Challenges we ran into
- Creating an asset from Geofencing
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Fully Functional Platform of implementing a RESTAPI, Geofencing to create an object
What we learned
Discovered the top dangerous activities that cause fatalities in streets. How to implement Geofencing to an object
What's next for ConfluenceMap
Apply machine learning to identify trends/heatmaps of potentially dangerous driving activity can occur because of road structure/missing monitoring.