The block chain serves as the public general ledger for all Bitcoin transactions, and as such contains a wealth of information. Using scripted inputs to connect to the Blockchain.info data API makes is possible to leverage Splunk to easily gain insight to the inner workings of the Bitcoin network.
The Bitcoin Observer Splunk application makes it possible to:
- Query bitcoin addresses to see individual transactions
- Determine transaction locations and then visualize by using zoomable maps
- Perform a deep-dive on individual blocks in the chain to see transaction details
- See meta stats and trend the overall health of the Bitcoin network
- Chart Bitcoin values against a basket of foreign currencies
- Discover which Bitcoin addresses are the most prolific
This application was designed for crypto-currency buffs and just about anyone who is curious about the inner workings of the Bitcoin network. The inspiration to creating this app was to find a way to greatly reduce the complexity when analyzing the blockchain.