We hear about apps to track contagions, for example, but how many people over 60, the most vulnerable, would be able to use these apps? They are the 25% of population, 187.000.000 people. In the present situation of forced social isolation we have realized that digital illiterates are the most isolated and vulnerable people. Offering digital basics and a practical support through remote channels such as the television or physical channels such as print media and territorial resources, through NGO's volunteers and the European Civil Service of the Erasmus+ program could help solving this problem. This is why 60Plus is born: the program for digital approach trough no digital media and NGO's involvment using with efficency everything we have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ch0FVFigCg
What it does
60plus educate senior to became digital and connects non-profit organizations (except trade unions and political parties) through a common entry point NGO, (in the Italin experience Protezione Civile) and:
- a national register capable of mapping them on the territory ad let voluunteers get involved
- a common database in which to map skills and areas of intervention as well as availability of volunteers. We can use as example the solution of https://devpost.com/software/hourtime to collect and share or https://devpost.com/software/maneki to reach all volunteers.
Using the italian example with a national toll-free number call center (+39800840840) to collect reports, authorizations to data processing for privacy purposes (through explicit consent given during a recorded call). Volunteers will answer the calls and direct the requests for assistance according to area of competence (e.g use of the government app, a small talk) or territory (es. need for grocery shopping) or all needs.
In order to approach non-digitalized people (especially over 60) we consider the use of their favourite mass-media:
- short video tutorials on television, with subtitles in large letters, recited by testimonials over 60 (to create a mirroring affect such in Swedish TV program https://www.svtplay.se/seniorsurfarna), so as to reach the largest number of users and improve effectiveness, and illustrated demos in newspaper.
WATCH OUR MVP Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4UXTycFqag
- infographics/drawing pages on print media (local and national newspapers, magazines and weeklies) with brief explanations on the use of some functions of the devices.
How to do it?
- using European Founds to finance the digital educational program translated in every language of EU with Her founds for education with a Observatory to monitor money and result after 6 month of experiment.
- adopting in every countries a single register of NGO, through the revenue agency of the country which issued the tax code when the npo was established (low cost solution)
- having a common database for all NGO's, choosen by them, in order to track in anonymous and share best practices at international level
- using the existing national toll-free number to direct the requests to NGO's according to competence in the same way, in network
- spreading on national TV channels digital pills free of charge (similarly to social advertising partnership) to fight digital illiteracy created with the European Commision Committmen in different languages
- partneship with TLC, Media and devices providers to test the solution with low cost tablet pre-configured
- making an observatory charged to analyse biannually the results of the individual countries in order to evaluate the effectiveness of the intervention and share the best practices with expert (Red Cross, Rotary, Scout, and the national ONG that carry on the initiative).
Challenges I ran into
we run into the c16 challenge - Social & Political Cohesion - Protection of isolated & risk groups
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
60plus is a low economic impact solution involving civil society and reducing social distancing for the most vulnerable population groups, applicable in all EU and non EU countries, which can be used also for other needs post Covid-19 emergency and usable also by other vulnerable groups. It could also become a new way to serve in the European Voluntary Service or of internship for students that join this social program from home. Everybody can help, also during emergency with digital support by voice. In pessimistic option, if we touch 10% of the target we can make the difference for 18.000.000 people in UE.