One of the biggest socio-economic challenges that the world is encountering and least talked about is the aging population and how the divide between the older and younger generation could potentially disrupt societies (issues like Brexit, 'OK Boomer', increase in elderly crime rate in South Korea, etc.). Unlike in the past, with improved healthcare, the populations in most developed countries enjoy longer life expectancy with healthier lifestyles. As a consequence, the older population have a lot of value to offer to the younger generation. According to a survey conducted in Feb 2017 in the US, 77% of the adults are willing to engage with the younger generation in building meaningful intergenerational relationships.
What it does
This is an app to connect youth and seniors to build meaningful intergenerational relationships to foster an engaged community. The users can express their preferences and match appropriately with their counterparts. They can use the in-house messaging service and plan meet-ups.
How we built it
We primarily used python, flask, html and css to build this app. We built the app using python and flask. Azure was used to connect a database to the app so as to store the user information.
Challenges we ran into
- Learning how to use Azure for SQL database and Web App Deployment
- Connecting a database to the app.
- Problem shooting & Debugging Issues related to ODBC driver
- Incorporate html elements with minimal/no-background.
- Utilising Flask for simulated user-login journey
- Segregating Pages depending on verified authentification.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We are proud of the fruition from ideation in the past 20 hours to build a basic product to serve a purpose that the society could benefit from. We learnt a lot not just from this idea, but also from the other countless ideas that were genereated during our team's 6 hour brain storming our team endured.
What's next for YES (Youth Engaging Seniors)
- Better improve the app UI, which was primarily limited by our HTML and Flask familiarity. For a better visualisation of our app, please refer to the App Mock-up in the provided Figma sketch.
- The next step would be to incorporate an incentive based mentorship program which could be sponsored by governments to provide subsidized travel, project grants, tuition fee credits, etc.
- Allow a beta deployment and get some feedback from users.
- Pitch this idea to investors to scale up the same.