The problem your project solves
Yohgo is a favour network. This means that members of a community will be able to offer favours to each other and request favours from each other. In the context of Covid-19, this means that volunteers and at-risk groups can be efficiently matched.
This Covid19 community coordination app is especially useful at efficiently delivering the volunteering energy to provide appropriate community assistance when and where it is needed.
The app exists and can be used immediately without any modification.
The solution you bring to the table (including technical details, architecture, tools used)
Users can offer and/or request a wide range of favours through the use of a simple smartphone application available on both popular smartphone platforms. Offers and requests will be automatically matched on a "what/when/where" basis.
- "what" refers to the service category, such as a transportation,
- "when" refers to the date/time range in which the service is available or required and
- "where" refers to physical location.
These three factors are matched and a range of options presented to the user.
The technical architectural style is one of full-stack web development with an app (Android and iOS) front-end. The back-end is powered by, among others, Django, PostgreSQL/PostGIS and deployed on Amazon AWS using Docker and other cloud services (see below).
The system is also "translate-friendly" in that one simple file contains any text that would need to be translated. The app has been (experimentally) deployed in a number of EU languages.
Remember, the app exists and can be used immediately without any modification.
What you have done during the weekend
We have tailored the app to meet the specific challenges presented by the Covid-19 crisis. This has involved modifying the range of services available to highlight those most relevant to the needs of locked down and at-risk groups. In light of the situation with locked down groups, we have also removed the need for them to return the favour.
The solution’s impact to the crisis
- This is an immediate local solution that can be deployed EU-wide.
- It is especially useful at efficiently harnessing available volunteering energy to provide appropriate community assistance when and where it is needed.
- Protect the vulnerable due to built-in audit trail. This helps ensure the safety of all involved.
The necessities in order to continue the project
- The project requires a marketing and communications push to get the message to the widest possible audience. At present the team lacks the expertise to do this.
- We need native language speakers to translate the app into the various EU languages. We can supply the source files in English.
- We need help to produce new Covid-focused videos to explain how to use the modified system.
The value of your solution(s) after the crisis
Yohgo can simply carry on as a community-based favour network. During Covid-19 we have suspended the need for reciprocation. Post Covid, we anticipate the reintroduction of the part of the system that ensures fairness. The system can maintain fairness through a points based credit system. The points are called "Yohgos". Using Yohgos as a means of keeping score, you can barter lifts or services you have to offer for any other lifts or services you require.