- Andre and Nathan attended UBRI Connect this October, where they heard from an executive at Coil.
- Coil builds web enabled platforms for monetization within browsers.
- We built off of this model, emphasizing the creation of a "stream" of money.
- Tutors and tutees are a perfect model because some online education programs can lack interaction.
What it does
- It allows tutors to host educational sessions over video chat.
- Tutees can join the session and contribute a stream of payments directly to the tutors wallet of choice.
- This allows for personal and real time interaction between students and educators.
How we built it
- React front end provides responsive and dynamic user interactions.
- NodeJS and express webserver allows for the use of the Xpring SDK.
- Hosted on Google Cloud Platform
- Cryptocurrency transferred on the XRP Ledger
- Video Chat built on Jitsi
Challenges we ran into
- Ripple wallets must be initialized with 20 XRP.
- Xpring is very new and has limited functionality and documentation.
- Jitsi was mainly designed to be embedded in static webpages.
- We did not have widespread experience in creating large react web apps
- This is a very new model for web monetization and it was challenging to produce a finished product.
Accomplishments that we are proud of
- Payments flow in real time.
- Temporary wallet architecture allows for ease of use.
- Livestreams are embedded within HTML.
- Wallets can refund unused funds.
What we learned
- The Xpring platform was released a month ago, and it was interesting to learn about how the SDK worked.
- None of us had built a web-app backend in NodeJS.
- We gained insight into brand new technologies that will affect how the internet functions.
- We learned basic React design, including how to build an effective single page application.
What's next for Xtudy
- Incorporate tutor ratings for a self-regulating economy.
- Implement access control to allow for one-on-one and private group sessions.
- Adding a cut of monetization for the server host.
Categories We Will Be Competing For
- Best Overall
- Best Web Hack
- Best Education Hack
- Best Use of Google Cloud