We come from an international background. After coming to the US, it was hard to keep up with what's popular in our home countries. Even if we had an idea for what's hip nowadays, it was difficult to access those content - existing software and services (e.g. YouTube, Spotify) are not configured to handle foreign music.
What it does
We built a discovery / streaming service for foreign music, so users can easily access the latest songs and build their foreign music playlist, using US-based software.
How I built it
Challenges I ran into
- Original idea of "infinite" zoom to explore music options was difficult to implement due to memory constraints
- Access music streaming content without using the Spotify player
- Integrating different pieces took longer than imagined, all kinds of smaller issues
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Designed everything from scratch
- Not-shabby lookin'
What I learned
- There is demand for foreign music in the US
- The problem is with access - it is currently difficult to consume the content, because of the lack of official channels, leading to poor data integrity
- Always build out the core features first
What's next for Xplora
Sleep + a hot shower, in that order. We will probably re-group and build out a fuller applications. In parallel, we will work with music companies to explore options in sharing their foreign assets in the US.