We love retro games and we want play them on any device all the time!
What it does
It allows you to play a multitude of games on any device while maintaining state
How we built it
We run multiple windows VMs and run game processes on them. The output frames of the game and the control instructions are exchanged between the VM and the user's device via RDP. Each user has his own userspace on the cloud where her/his games reside. They can switch devices on the go while still continuing the same game
Challenges we ran into
- Allocating game processes onto VMs efficiently.
- Saving game state across devices
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Can switch games between devices on the fly in a smooth manner.
- Can run games on almost any device
What we learned
- We affirmed out belief that retro games are awesome :D
- Don't keep things for the last minute
What's next for Xbox 0
Expand to support:
- More games
- Better video compression