What it does
This app lets musicians quickly experiment with new rhythms. Simply set the tempo, tap in the beats, and press play! You'll see and hear the rhythm you created, and you can edit it in real time.
How we built it
We used the Android SDK for the GUI and backend. For faster audio, we used the CsoundAndroid libraries and a free soundfont. The code was written in Java and XML.
Challenges we ran into
- Certain project files that were not supposed to be in source control kept getting checked in somehow.
- The Csound library took a considerable amount of time to integrate, but it was worth it in the end.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
What we learned
- How to use source control
- How to manage concurrency across UI, rendering and playback threads
- How to use the UI elements of the SDK
- How to use native libraries
What's next for Wrhythm
- Different number of beats
- Custom beat stressing
- Custom sounds
- Midi export