Add Monday.com items to your whiteboard.
Seamless integration with Monday.com, editing items, and providing updates directly from the whiteboard.
Add GitHub issues and pull requests to your whiteboards, and collaborate on them with your colleagues.
Video conferencing built into the whiteboard, chat with your team directly on the whiteboard!
Whiteboard is a view connected to your board
Monday.com is a an amazing tool with a well thought structure focused around timeline, topics, and the team. I wanted to add a bit of chaos into the mix. Physical whiteboard is a synonym of unlimited creativity, and I want to achieve the same with a virtual whiteboard, so that a team can collaborate in real time, or asynchronously.
What it does
The idea is to enable Monday.com users to organise their work items the way how they want, and collaborate on it in the most suitable way from their perspective. At the same time we want keep the data in Monday in sync, so they can come back to traditional views whenever they want.
Software development teams are able to plan their work, and visually monitor the progress on a custom made board with drawings, animated gifs, GitHub issues, and Monday items.
Whiteboards can help you with:
- Sprint planning, PI planning, running your daily standup meetings
- Brainstorming sessions, mind mapping, user story mapping, threat modelling
- Design sparring, collaboration on mockups, and diagrams ... and other types of collaboration you would normally do on a whiteboard
- Monday.com items: creating, editing, assigning, managing timelines, linking them visually
- GitHub integration: add GH issues, pull requests to your whiteboard
- Creative content: shapes, free hand draw, animated gifs, lines, curves, videos, content embedded via iframes
- Video conferencing
- Voting ... and everything else you would expect from a virtual whiteboard
How I built it
I'm using React, Firebase, and Twilio. The application is powered by whiteboards.io engine, and it had to be adjusted to Monday.com platform.
Challenges I ran into
I was anxious whether I will be able to embed existing code into a new platform. It turned out to be easy thanks to well thought APIs, and having a platform agnostic codebase.
Discovering, and understanding Monday.com was the main challenge. Monday.com Community was the source of knowledge about users, and their needs.
What I learned
- Monday.com concepts
- New app platform
What's next for Whiteboards for Monday.com
- Deeper understanding of Monday.com specific user needs, add more depth to the app.
- Align design style of Whiteboards with Monday.com, so that it feels more native
- Add more integrations: Jira, GitLab, Azure Devops