Build market forecasting tools for algorithmic trading
What it does
Monitor wallet activity and notifies the user based on parametrized thresholds.
Example: Notify user only if wallet moves 100 BTC or more.
How we built it
A web scraping tool that aggregates data and determines deviations from "normal" behavior of target (Whale) wallets.
Challenges we ran into
- Tracing transactions across the blockchain
- Errors in source data from websites we scraped (instances of 0.0 transfer of BTC into wallet address)
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Successful testing of Slack integration notifying user whenever activity for target wallet is found.
What we learned
- html is highly flexible making it difficult to parse for general information scraping
- Non-trivial to map inputs and outputs of transactions to sending and receiving addresses
What's next for Whale Watcher
Building other parameters or thresholds for user notification
- Transaction Frequency (Increase/decrease in transactions per hour)
- Degrees of separation (6 addresses removed from exchange or mining pool)