A simple telegram bot developed at HackNTU 2019
Try it out on telegram!
Server hosted on pythonanywhere
What it does
Gives the current weather update (current temperature, UV index, PSI, and area forecast) at 16 specific locations as specified in data.gov.sg to everyone in a group, or directly via private messaging.
These 4 indicators are especially important for social sports group (e.g. water sports, tennis, soccer), even so when there is an increasing trend of social networking platforms centered around sports. However, these 4 arguably most important indicators are located on different pages on NEA's app and website, making it user-unfriendly and annoying.
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
- Using Python for the first time
- Extracting and using the data.gov.sg API (lack of documentation)
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Learning Python in 2 hours
- Learning how to use pyTelegramBotAPI
- Extracting the data from the data.gov.sg API
What we learned
- Programming in Python!
- Roughly how to use the data.gov.sg API
What's next for WeatherMan
- Instant updates should any of the 4 metrics go beyond the "unhealthy" levels
- Done: Letting users geo-tag their location to return the closest station and its data
- Options to choose from 2, 6, 12, 24, or 96 hours forecasts
- An update button instead of constantly having to give the same commands