Name: Watup: Boyle Heights A Social Engagement App for Boyle Height Youth and Young Adults
Team: This app was conceived and built by six students from Roosevelt High School with support from Sergio, Ruihua and Mike.
Watup: Boyle Heights raises funds for higher learning through community engagement via the app.
These youth build profiles that identify and build partnership with small businesses that provide the following: Food and Retail, Healthcare, Community Resources and Events and Historical Landmarks. These partnerships provide crowdsourcing funds through social media initiatives for higher education of Boyle Heights young people.
- Working with a 14-20 year-old youth demographic that is technologically emancipated through smartphones and tablets to curate locations and events in their
Appery.io - cloud-based mobile app builder
- Enables High School/ College Students to Build Profiles and curate locations with pictures and information in a manner similiar to AirBNB curating their location
- GPS identifies location based various types of content about Boyle Heights
- GPS notifies users of near-by locations that are relevant to their interests, check ins will generate revenue through location and event partners for funding the Boyle Heights community scholarships
- Map API builds Bike Routes, Car Routes and Walking Routes on based on the curated content that is shown through an Augmented View
- Calendar API aggregates data of events and news based on profile's interests
- Profiles' Data and Mapped routes can be shared via bluetooth, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and Path