We wanted to make an application that encourages users to throw out trash (because of Earth Day). We figured the best way to do this was to make the application interactive and fun.
What it does
The home page has a built home screen for the camera, where you can take a picture of the trash you're throwing away. You will then be awarded "Earth Coins" for throwing out trash. You can use these Earth coins to decorate your unique avatar.
How we built it
We used Flutter to build the application, Tensorflow and open CV for the identifying whether trash is being thrown away, and flask, GraphQL, and mySQL for the backend (to store the user's display name, avatar, and earth coin count)
Challenges we ran into
- One user never used Flutter before and had to learn
- Tensorflow was acting weird, and prevented us from testing and connecting it to the front end application
- Had some null-safe issues with Flutter when trying to initialize the user's camera.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We managed to learn a lot of new technology that we've been wanting to learn for a while.
- The front end application looks very nice.
What we learned
- Tensorflow + OpenCV
- Flask, GraphQL, mySQL
What's next for Waste Watcher
Work more on the object detection program so it's connected to the application Finish the backend
https://docs.graphene-python.org/en/latest/quickstart/ Graphene-Python Graphene framework for Python https://firebase.flutter.dev/ FlutterFire | FlutterFire The official Firebase plugins for Flutter https://graphql.org/ AngleSideAngle — Today at 10:59 AM https://flask.palletsprojects.com/en/1.1.x/
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.