The inspiration for this project comes from the common issue of losing people from a group when traveling together. For example, a group of tourists may have one or two people left behind from the group because of a distraction. The group may not notice that someone is missing until they stop the next time. In order to prevent a wanderer from being lost for too long, the app will notify the leader that a member of the group has deviated from the others. This is ideal for school trips, hiking excursions, and other group trips.
What it does
It periodically updates the locations of a group of people, and notifies the group if someone has wandered off from the rest.
How we built it
Using Angular.js and Cordova in the front-end, we setup an Azure VM that hosts a Python Flask API with a MongoDB back-end.
Challenges we ran into
- Deciding what to build the front-end in
- Opening ports on the back-end for the API and database
Accomplishments that we're proud of
What we learned
What's next for wander
- Encryption of data
- Option to share location and phone numbers
- User profiles (medical information)
- Creating wearable technology (hardware implementation)