Inspiration:

  • Inaccuracy of data extracted from model using standard workflows
  • Information must be collected by Room/Space
  • Repetition between changes
  • Lack of responsiveness

What it does:

  • Using Dynamo we can bring all the categories together
  • Extracting data by room/space and by Façade
  • Identifying wall orientation
  • Scheduling data
  • Visual Analysis of data collected via PowerBI

How we built it

*Isolating exterior wall and room/space *Gathering windows associated with the room/space *Isolating faces of walls and room/space *Resolving area of exterior facing of room/space *Integrating area of windows to calculating percentage *Analyzing data

Challenges we ran into:

There are many types of Revit elements that need to be counted as glazing, with different methods required to access them. We scaled back the scope of our study to include just windows so we could try to finish something in the time allowed. Since some Rooms did not include windows, our lists had empty spaces in them which Dynamo sometimes chokes on.

What we learned:

Being novice/intermediate Dynamo users, we started with geometric ideas we thought should work and tried to find ways to make Dynamo do them. For this type of analysis, it may be better to start by looking at what Dynamo does best, and extracting what is already in the model rather than assembling new things. We learned a lot about list handling. Thanks to all the great help we were offered by experts!

What's next for Wall / Area Ratio per Room / Space

Adding the other types of glazing categories to the process in parallel threads will be a great challenge. We will also look more carefully at the work of others targeting similar issues, especially SMMA's Dynamolitia presentation from June 2017.

Built With

Share this project:
×

Updates