We found that talking to websites is a new way to get and share information through the Internet instead of reading/typing/clicking. People could use voice interfaces for their business and personal sites. But there's a problem, that it's difficult for developers to integrate voice interface into their apps or websites. We found a simple solution for the integration problem.
What it does
Vuics is a Platform-as-a-Service that helps software engineers to build and serve Voice User Interfaces (VUI) for any websites and apps. Vuics also provides VUI-integration services for anyone.
Vuics PaaS has a dashboard, VUI builder, VUI analytics, documentation, support, React.js integration component, command line interface, and other features.
How I built it
We picked the following technologies to implement Vuics PaaS:
- Artificial Intelligence,
- Speech Recognition,
- Speech Synthesis,
- Natural Language Understanding,
We built backend with:
- AWS (API Gateway, Lambda, AppSync, DynamoDB, Cognito, PinPoint, Polly, S3, CloudFront, EKS, Transcribe, IAM, LexOrganizations, Trusted Advisor, CloudFormation, CloudTrail, WorkMail, CloudWatch, Certificate Manager, Route53, Amplify, SDK, CLI, Console, etc.),
We built front-end distributed by CloudFront with using:
- Semantic UI,
- Web Speech API.
We developed a CLI and shared on NPM.
We also created react.js component as a package that we added on NPM.
We added support with:
We also used other technologies.
Challenges I ran into
The challenging was to build the whole platform with:
- Full-Stack including browser client and cloud solutions.
- Frontend including views: Home (https://vuics.com), Pricing, Jobs, Accounts, etc.
- Backend: Vuics API (https://api.vuics.com), Authorization, Plans.
- VUI Builder.
- VUI Analytics.
- Command Line Interface for building VUI: https://www.npmjs.com/package/@vuics/cli.
- React.js component: https://www.npmjs.com/package/@vuics/react.
- Voice User Interface for Vuics Home Page.
- Examples with voice interfaces: Hello World (https://helloworld.vuics.com/), Order Coffee (https://ordercoffee.vuics.com/), Website Example (https://website.vuics.com/).
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
I proud with:
- Participation in AWS Artificial Intelligence Hackathon. Thanks to the AWS Team for organizing the Hackathon.
- Building the whole platform-as-a-service during just 2 months.
- Applying cutting-edge technologies and cloud solutions in the development of the Vuics platform.
- Developing the PaaS that could make popular to create voice user interfaces and integrate them into websites and apps.
- Creating the platform that could become a startup.
- Believing that we could talk with any websites and apps in the nearest feature.
What I learned
- how to use many AWS Services.
- how to communicate with AWS Support.
- how to participate in AWS Online Conference.
- how to use some other technologies like Claudia.js, GraphQL, Semantic UI, etc.
- how to write almost all the code of the Vuics platform.
- how to create several voice interfaces of different complexity.
- how to create my first PaaS in life.
- how to create a react component and share on NPM.
- how to participate in AWS Artificial Intelligence Hackathon. This is my first online hackathon. And the first hackathon on DevPost.
What's next for Vuics
The next possible goals are:
- Continue development of the Vuics platform.
- Invite more potential customers onboard.
- Marketing and sales.
- Creating groups on Facebook, Twitter and profiles in AngelList, ProductHunt, etc.
- Develop many new voice user interfaces for potential customers.
- Create more useful examples.
- Develop voice browser on the base of voice user interfaces created by Vuics users.
- Enable creating of Voice User Interfaces through using Voice User Interface.
- Add features with voiceprint and voice ID for voice user authentication. That will allow to input user passwords, credit card numbers, and credentials thru Voice UI.
- Make a leap in VUI with adding emotions, humor, hypnosis, music, and other innovative features.
- And make something even more awesome.