We were inspired to build this app in an effort to provide an introduction to Web Development to 3 of our 4 team members.
What it does
The app allows the user to Buy and Sell stocks and review a portfolio.
How I built it
We built a NodeJS REST API on a Google VM Machine (Linux/Debian) and backed it with a MongoDB database. We had a Python Flask framework that was making calls to our REST API and templates them into Bootstrap templates.
Challenges I ran into
We struggled with learning MongoDB as we were used to relational databases. Templating and frameworks were very new to most on our team, so understanding the concept surrounding it to execute was a challenge.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
We all definitely built an appreciation for Web Development:
- Krupa used a Bootstrap template to build out the frontend.
- Jay S. used Python for the first time, and even started learning Flask.
- Richard started learning what it takes to build a full stack web application - in the form of a link shortener! A great project for the weeks to come.
- And Jay R used NodeJS and MongoDB for the first time. He also started the iOS app with a few hours to spare!
What I learned
- Krupa: I learned how to use Bootstrap, brushed up on HTML, learned some CSS, learned a bit about MongoDB!
- Jay S: EVERYTHING (but only kinda tho).
- Richard: Crash course in web dev, chance to meet other aspiring engineers!
- Jay R: Learned Node, MongoDB, and Express!
What's next for VSE - a Virtual Stock Exchange!
- It shall make us rich. Or not. Regardless, incredible experience for the team!