We were inspired to create our project because of the difficulties we've had in finding accessible volunteering opportunities. As students we are often restricted by time frames, age, distance, etc.
What it does
volunteer.me gives users a place where they can input their restrictions for volunteer opportunities and provides a personalized list of events in their area. Users who publish Volunteer opportunities will have their events specially targeted by users who are identified to be more likely to attend their event.
How we built it
We built volunteer.me through a foundation based on nativescript. We called the facebook-graph api to gather information about volunteer events and we stored the information in Azure blob storage. The data once in storage would be separated into different categories that are predetermined by our app.
Challenges we ran into
Our team came to DUBHACKS with little to few experience. Having to learn these various different software types and languages in such a tight time frame ran us into roadblocks and various team breakdowns.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
At the end of this hackathon we're most proud of creating the actual prototype of the application. We all had vastly different ideas and views on how the project would turn out and getting to end this competition actually capable of calling this data into systems and making a project is leaps and bounds greater than we had expected.
What we learned
We learned what was our strengths as developers. As entry level students this was our first exposure to GitHub and Azure. We had no idea of the sheer amount of tools available for us to create with, much less of an idea what to do with any of it. We learned what our passions in development really is be it front-end or Web Development.
What's next for volunteer.me
We plan to finish the connections between the different parts of the app. We're still novices so it's going to take some learning to get this show on the road.