Inspiration

We wanted to make a visual novel using an existing engine for the hackathon, however we then wondered if we could create our own engine to make the visual novel.

What it does

It interprets textfiles containing commands, turning it into a functioning visual novel. It can set backgrounds, sprites to be displayed; it can create dialogue and branching choices for the user. We aimed to make the syntax as simple as possible, with example commands such as follows:

bg "bg.png"
sprite "characterID" "sprite.gif"
dia "characterID" "character dialogue"

How we built it

We used Java, mainly utilising Regex to create our own syntax to be interpreted.

Challenges we ran into

Figuring out how to implement branches were a challenge.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Implementing branching and more complex file reading.

What we learned

Learning how to output text from a text file into the GUI and have it update after button presses.

What's next for VNgine

Adding error checking, polishing the GUI, adding a main menu to upload your own text files.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates