Coronavirus is getting more and more attention internationally. From the tragic stories that we heard from China and other countries, we have a strong motivation to do our best to prevent it from spreading.
What it does
Our website displays information about COVID-19 such as its background, key statistics as well as advice on how to prevent it. After reading the articles, the reader can apply their new knowledge in a COVID-19 simulation. They can control different factors can affect the outcome. The goal is to balance eradicating COVID-19 and fearmongering (the numbers are currently extremely polarizing and inaccurate for demonstration purposes)
How we built it
We built the front end using HTML, CSS, and the simulation using Unity and C#.
Challenges we ran into
2 of our team members are new to web development and the whole process of self-learning under time pressure is quite a challenge.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We are proud of our efficiency, our fully working and beautiful website, as well as our interactive and self-explaining simulation. We are also proud of how well our team communication went.
What we learned
Basics HTML: embedding links, bullet points, paragraphs, redirects etc.
What's next for Virus Tracker
- We want to add more factors such as self-quarantine and whether you cover your face when coughing and sneezing.
- We want to give our users more freedom when it comes to simulation. We want to add a function where users can choose a geological location and how people are behaving based on our requirements, and the simulation should dynamically show how it would spread differently.
- For the information page, we want to add the web scrapping function, where we provide our users the most reliable and the most recent news from different news sources so that our users don't need to go to different websites to look for information.
- Fully customizable sandbox mode. Currently the population, rate of recovery, false positive/negative rate, amount of social interaction, and the effectiveness of hand washing and mask wearing are unable to be changed by the player
- Web integration using WebGL so that the game can be played in your browser