The impact of COVID-19 on the global village was our prime motivation. The pandemic generated tons of biomedical waste, which has further burdened the already prevalent pollution problems of the world. Due to increase in waste, waste management and segregation practices have been affected as well. Waste is not properly managed and segregated and most often lands up in landfills or incinerators. The pandemic has gravely affected employment as well. International labor association estimated nearly half global workforce is at a risk of losing their livelihoods. Our efforts were to come up with a scalable and tangible solution that will combat increased waste generation and unemployment issues. As a result, we came up with Viraan, a mobile application, where users can sell their waste.
What it does
We have created an eco system that consists of 4 major parties: Vendors, Users, Volunteers and NGOs. The Users are people who use our app through which they sell their waste and earn coins to later redeem rewards. Our app, consists of an integrated ML model, which segregates the waste into 5 categories(plastic, glass, kitchen waste, metals, paper). The vendors are wholesale dealers who properly manage the 5 categories of waste. The volunteers are the employees, coming from low income backgrounds, who collect waste from users and then sell it to the vendors. The volunteers get to keep 80% of the daily commission, while 20% is given back to the us for investments and maintenance. The NGOs are part of the ecosystem to provide free meals and education to the children of the volunteers, as a means to safeguard the children from human trafficking, child labor and hunger disparity along with encouraging the volunteers to work for the organization and build a trust with them.
How we built it
We built the mobile application on flutter and have integrated a VGG-16 CNN model. The UI/UX of the app has been built upon figma.
Challenges we ran into
- The major challenge was tp come up with a practical idea that would create a positive impact on the environment and the low income people.
- Integrating the ML model was a challenge.
- Completing the project within the time frame of the hackathon is always a challenge we look forward to as a team.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
The team is extremely proud of the solution they came up with and the efforts we put in, to make it a reality.
What we learned
- The team leant time management and the importance of effective communication.
- During research for the solution, the team learnt a lot about good waste management practices, correct ways of segregation and the harsh reality of people in these difficult times.
What's next for Viraan
- The app can be deployed on a large scale to combat the societal issues aforementioned.
- In future we can also incorporate tracking of the volunteer’s route for picking and delivery of waste and the routes can be optimized for less fuel consumption and a greener route for less carbon footprint