NPO's Current Website
Temporary Hosted Solution
Vidyodaya's existing website is a year-old template with so many navigation links, and it is tough for visitors to find the information they are looking for, and it is less appealing.
- How might we modernize our current website?
- How might we make our website easier to use?
A redesign of the website will allow for migrating to the content management system, improving navigation paths on the front end of the site, and implementing a responsive and modern design. Also, fulfill social media integration and increased engagement with the audience.
As the requirement focused on ease of making changes for a non-technical person; our approach was to choose Wordpress for fulfilling the requirements. WordPress is very easy to use and has an intuitive interface. Adding new pages, blog posts, images, etc. on a regular basis is a breeze and can be done quickly. Because the technology is so simple, time spent on formatting is greatly reduced. It is also browser-based. Hence, no HTML Editing or FTP Software Required. SEO Optimization is also taken care of, which allows the users to find content of search engines pretty easily. A Blog is Built-in and Ready to Go. Wordpress is opensource.
O-Hack Guidelines Followed:
Common Export/Import Format
Wordpress is one of the very popular Open-Sourced project. It's easily backed by the community to enable import and export of the whole website into XMLs, which can be useful in migrating the website to any other servers in future.
Scope of Solution
How big an impact will your solution have on the community?
- 1. Scale of the problem? The website will help the NPO reach out the adivasi tribe of India and promote educational services to them
- 2. Productivity gain? The website will help the NPO reach out multiple parties concerned (both for donations and volunteers)
- 3. Complexity of problem Major complexities involved were:
- Catering to non-technical folks in NPO to work on the website content as and when required
- Extending the reach of NPO's social media connect
- Coming up with an ease in deployment process for future
- 4. Has it been done before? Sure, other NPOs would have tried it out, but, they usually have to pay a hefty fee to the developer giving them this ease of a solution
- 5. Does it solve the problem? Yes, it does solve the current problem. We also connected with NPO and were able to answer to their feedback for more future use-cases too using the solution.
The UI/UX is much advanced providing lot of features with awesome experience. The scripts are well documented. However, the NPO will not have to understand the scripts. They will be abel to manage content, change themes, and lot more using the GUI based admin console.
- 1. How much work is left? The product is 100 % ready to be deployed. A few cosmetic feedback received from the NPO are being worked out now.
- 2. Is this a prototype or a working solution? It is a working solution, ready to be deployed based on NPO's deployment capabilities.
- 3. Can NPOs utilize the solution tomorrow? Yes. That would be a 100% yes.
- 4. Auto-deploy capability (e.g. one-click deploy from Heroku) The deployment to any Wordpress-friendly hosting platform will be one-click away.
- 5. Can this solution be used by more than 1 NPO? The solution approach can be used by more than 1 NPO. The content will have to be changed based on the NPO.
- Did you consider security? We are looking for any role-based access controls, OAuth, and proof that usernames/passwords or any personally identifiable information is securely stored.
- Yes, The administrator of a WordPress site, can set-up multiple users for the website and assign access levels and capabilities to each user.