Education is and has been the biggest ecosystem to foster communities. Learning and the format of learning have been fairly consistent over centuries. Going back in history, 1000 years, 100 years, and even 10 years, there has always been a physical blackboard and a traditional coaching format UNTIL digital systems became an alternative and UNTIL very recent pandemic catalyzed and forced us to shift to the virtual mediums of learning. VideoWiki is a project that enables people to collaborate and share knowledge in an immersive and engaging manner.
What it does
VideoWiki is an open content editing platform that powers the creation and monetization of content while encouraging collaborative authoring while prioritizing and protecting IP distribution. It benefits the creators and educators while they are transitioning to online mediums of teaching, by providing a more immersive learning experience for their learners.
Powered by blockchain technology now it is possible to ensure proper education without fearing censorship and loss of IP. We want to ensure knowledge is available to all. The novel approach of Videowiki.pt enables the creator to publish their content in a decentralized fashion over the Ethereum Blockchain using the OCEAN Protocol.
How we built it
VideoWiki is a democratized, tokenized, AI-based immersive content creation platform capable of rewarding millions of digital content creators. Creators can come together to collaboratively create media with complete contribution rights maintained on-chain and version-controlled without any centralized intermediaries.
The front end of the project is build using the Vue.js framework. The backend uses Django which runs the AI model which helps in breaking down text content into multiple segments and suggest appropriate scenes for each. It also facilitates the creators to upload their own video clips. Presently the content can be published as paid using the OCEAN Protocol which is done using the Ocean.js library.
- We built an editor to assist in creating immersive content generation using AI without advanced tool or tech knowledge
- Collaborative Authoring of content with Distributed Ownership and Share of Credit (and Financial Remuneration if chosen)
Using AI-based text classification methods, we can identify the context of the content and make queries to public video media libraries using APIs. These can be given back to the teachers as an assisted course creation tool to develop interactive digital media.
- The AI uses 'sentence detection' algorithms to break the content into scenes or Short or Long intervals (As selected by the creator), the grammar and punctuation are checked by another AI process similar to the common spell-checker.
- Then another AI algorithm detects the important keywords from each scene. This tagging helps in identifying the context of the sentence/scene might be.
- Then we use the open media libraries to check stock videos around those tags and fetch the relevant clips to present back to the teacher to pick. (Until here, the only part the teacher/creator has done is paste the required content, the rest all is done automatically.)
- Now the teacher can review the suggested scene sequence, the overlaying text and if everything is correct with prediction, then go ahead and stick the videos together preview and publish.
- If the teacher wants to add narration, or change text, or change video scenes, he would be able to do that and customize the course.
Blockchain and Decentralization
Our layer 1 is Ethereum with
- OCEAN Marketplace
- Chainlink for Dynamic price setting and rewards
Content creators are free to publish their content centrally for free or decentralized-ly for a price. OCEAN Protocol is used to publish the content decentrally. A unique and separate data token is generated for every published asset and OCEAN tokens can be used to purchase the content.
Our further approach will include launching our Version Control System Smart contract which enables multiple creators to contribute to the same content and record the updates made to the content in a version-control fashion. The smart contract internally uses chainlink oracle to make HTTP-get calls to external APIs to fetch data regarding the number of tokens to be minted. We also plan to wrap OCEAN Token in our native token, TCH Token. This token will also be used to reward contributors based on the number of views received on the content. Chainlink Oracle Service will enable us to get this off-chain data into our blockchain which will help us build more robust and cost-effective smart contracts.
We also plan to create our own external adapters and chainlink nodes for smoother operation and performing more complex calculations decentrally but off-chain to save on gas price. This will enable users to utilize our features to the fullest without breaking the bank.
Challenges we ran into
Some of the challenges we faced during the build cycle include:
- Edge case handling for situations when the HTTP-get request may fail
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Some of our achievements include but not limited to: During the hackathon, we were able to optimize our blockchain solution for the marketplace on content.
- Piloted Chainlink Oracle to make a call to a dummy url. In production, this url will be hosted at our server with details of how much token is to be minted for creators.
- OCEAN Protocol Data Economy Challenge - Second Place and Community Choice Award of Data Economy Hackathon organized by OCEAN Protocol
What we learned
During building for our hackathon we learned a lot about off-chain interaction using Oracles like Chainlink. We also learned about building our own external adapters and how to run chainlink nodes.
Using external APIs and Adapters is very helpful when calculating complex mathematics because they help in significantly reducing the gas price. Because of the unique approach of Chainlink as an oracle service, using external adapters doesn't affect the decentralized approach of the project.
What's next for VideoWiki 3.0
Our upcoming steps include: Adoption:
- A plug-n-play solution to universities with easy adoption.
- Encourage teachers to utilize the features provided by our platform. Experience:
- Create a unified workflow under which users require minimum to no experience with blockchain and cryptocurrency to utilize the full benefits of the platform.
- Create a fully optimized version control system and launch it as our novel protocol which others can utilize in their projects. Milestones:
- Mainnet launch and L2 scaling
- VCS launch
- Test and launch Financial Ecosystem