Captions are a tool that has been underused for the creation of memes.
What it does
Takes as input a string and using the captions of a bunch of YouTube videos it has downloaded it searches for clips in those videos (or synthesizes a clip of the audio if it's not found) and mashes them together to form a clip with that text.
How I built it
I built using lots of Python scripts and Google Producs (T2S, S2T [eventually], YouTube).
Challenges I ran into
I made the mistake of downloading the video in mp4 format, this made the job of splitting videos much more computationally expensive than I thought. I thought I would be able to pre-split all the videos but I needed to do it on-demand instead to allow for how slow it is (even multi-threaded). If I had picked another format I could do this faster.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
It kinda works!
What I learned
Video codecs are difficult. I can think of plenty of clever ways to optimize what I've done here.
What's next for Video Masher
Probably not going to work on it further but some ideas:
- Web frontend
- S2T to split captions on individual words