More information in the hackathon vlog.
Everyone has a daily routine. For me, that would be waking up, drinking tea, skipping class, and coding until I pass out from exhaustion. However, I find one part of this process to be excruciatingly mundane. That would, of course, be the drinking tea part. In fact, there are over 10 steps to drinking tea.
- Pour water into the kettle
- Place the kettle on the stove
- Turn on the fire
- Wait for the water to boil
- Turn off the fire
- Add tea leaves into a pot
- Pour the water from the kettle into the pot
- Pour the tea into a cup
- Bring the cup back to your room
- Move the cup towards your mouth
- Tilt the cup
- Open your mouth
- Tilt the cup back
- Close your mouth
- Swallow the tea
- Clean the cup
This is a daunting number of tasks and no one should have to go through this ordeal.
What it does
Luckily, we came up with a solution. You know those old beer bucket hat things? Well, our solution is a better version of that. Rather than sucking on a straw, open your mouth and the straw will deliver water directly into your mouth.
How I built it
Spark AR is really great for detecting facial gestures. There is a mouth open gesture that we connect to a patch that connects to our script. The script sends an HTTP POST request to our Node.js Express.js server running on the Google Cloud Platform's App Engine. When the value of the mouth open variable changes, the server receives a request to update the mouth open value. The Arduino connects to a Python script using pyserial and requests to implement short polling to the server. On the value change, the Python script sends a serial string that alerts the Arduino to turn the pump on/off.
Challenges I ran into
The latest Spark AR version has no networking. Sending an HTTP request without a content type to our own server which expects an
application/json content type is a bad idea.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
We strapped a pot onto Aaron's head with duct tape.
What I learned
Friction is a powerful thing.
What's next for Untitled Princess Carolyn Project