Inspiration

As stressed students in university who also enjoy music, we wanted to create an app where we will be able to UNLEASH our thoughts and emotions, and receive musical feedback.

What it does

UNLEASH is a journal combined with an AI music therapist that allows users to unleash their thoughts into an entry on their phone. Users can use text input and receive a personalized Spotify playlist depending on their sentiment.It has music playback functionality, and it gives a thorough mood analysis.

How we built

We built this app in Android Studio using Java, and integrated the Watson-IBM api as well as the Spotify api. The Watson API analyzes the input through sentiment analysis, and the output is passed on to Spotify API to search for the ideal playlist based on the user's mood. The user can play the playlist in the integrated music player with play, pause, and skip functionality.

Challenges we ran into

Integrating two API's to work together was challenging, specifically for converting output of one API to input of the other. This was our first time working with API's, so there was a learning curve in how to incorporate the API's into our app.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We are really proud that this was our first fully functional Android application and that the UI Design as well as the backend portion was well implemented and executed. Our team collaboration was also very organized. Everyone had knowledge of different materials so we were able to combine our knowledge and ideas to accomplish this amazing app.

What we learned

We learned how to use Git to allow everyone to work on separate features at the same time. In addition, we learned about how awesome and useful the IBM-Watson API is for a variety of AI analysis.

What's next for UNLEASH

Adding caching to allow users to save and see previous journal entries and moods/playlists. Multiple visual graph analysis for moods. Also broadening our user audience by incorporating other music providers such as Tidal, Pandora, Apple Music, etc.

Share this project:

Updates