1)Student end-requesting appointments
2)Faculty end-view appointments,summary
3)Faculty end-assigning the appointment
4)Faculty end- view appointments
5)Student end-artifact summary
6)Administrator end-artifacts report
UMS is expected to make your student life hassle free and academic ready!
The inspiration to create this application came from two different issues students face in universities.
1) The difficulty of taking appointments with faculties and officials in the University. Students usually have to bombard professors or University officials with emails for an appointment to get their doubts clarified. This frustrates both the students and the staff alike.
2) The difficulty in finding or filing academic documents. Upload Artifacts is a facility by which a student can upload all the academic-related documents which she/he has referred. Such documents normally include relevant pages of text-books referred, essays and short notes written during the course of study, reference materials of various kinds, etc. Such uploaded artifacts can be seen by administrators and they can approve the uploaded documents and delete if any of these documents are irrelevant to the studies. This facility will become a useful library in due course. A new student will be able to view the uploaded artifacts of those students who had studied the same course earlier. The faculties can suggest such repositories of knowledge by pointing out the uploaded materials of the outstanding students who had completed the courses earlier.
• Educational industries such as schools, colleges, and universities. • In a wide range of industries where requesting and managing appointments are required.
How we built it?
Our team consists of two graduate students who, from the daily struggles of requesting an appointment and also to find relevant academic documents, found out this solution in the form of a web application named UMS. While we were learning about Appian and its potential uses from the tutorials, we came to the realization that Appian would be the best tool for the two business solutions that all University students need. We started building the pages, components, interfaces, etc., by trial and error method. We learned a lot from the mistakes and shared the findings with each other. In less than two weeks we completed the application.
Let us examine the salient features of UMS.
UMS Student End (Student side site):
Dashboard: • Links to external university resources
There is an Appian form which can be used to request appointments. The following are the slots to be filled in for this purpose:
• Choose an assignee • Add relevant description • Choose future date and time for the appointment • Request the appointment
View Requested Appointments:
The Appian record list is used to display the status of the requested appointments. Here one can view the following:
• The status of applied appointment (Requested, Approved, Rejected) • Check the assigned user for the appointment
There is a form to upload academic artifacts. To upload one has to fill in the following slots in the manner given below:
• Give the document name • Give a description for the document • Choose the category of the document (Notes, Images, Textbook)
Record list to view approved artifacts
• Ability to view the summary of the document • Have included two different views for the image and document by using image component for the images and document viewer component for the documents. • Ability to download the uploaded document from documents link.
UMS Official End- (Faculty/Administrator side site):
The faculties can view Appointments requested to him/her and also the report associated with Appointments. A faculty can see only those appointments sent to him/her. This avoids confusion of landing upon the irrelevant ones, not meant specifically for him/her.
• Record list to view all the requested appointments. • View the summary of the requested appointment and take actions (Approve, Reject, Assign)
• Report functionality to compare various data that were generated.
Administrator (Assigned by the University officials):
The administrator can view all activities on the application. The administrator can see all the four pages on the site.
Appointments report compare various data that are generated. Using this facility data such as percentage of accepted appointment, rejected appointments, etc. can be generated.
• Record list to view all uploaded artifacts. • Check the document summary view and take actions. (Approve, Reject)
Record list to view data that were generated.
What's next for UMS:
Faculty would be frustrated if they have to reject appointments just because it doesn’t fall in the days and time of their availability. Hence the future version of UMS would include personalized calendar showing days and timings suitable for each faculty. If a student gets appointment at a particular timing on a particular day the same date and timing will not be available to any other students.
With minimal changes, a future version of UMS can be developed which can function as an office communication system enabling communication and data exchanges among employees and management.
The future version would also leverage Appian’s ability to upload videos. That would help faculty to upload relevant academic videos to the site which would enhance student’s ability to learn more.
credentials for testing UMS app:
Administrator credentials: username:faculty password:faculty100
Student credentials: username:student password:appian100
Faculty credentials: username:faculty1 password:faculty100