What are QR Code Check-Ins?
To assist with tracking the spread of Covid-19, many regions have implemented QR Code Check-Ins when entering venues. Before entering a venue, individuals must first scan a QR code which records their details, usually including:
- Contact Details
- Venue Location
- Current Time and Date
These QR Check-Ins have become incredibly popular due to their simplicity and effectiveness in helping to track the spread of Covid-19.
Unfortunately, there are a few issues associated with QR Check-Ins that can make travelling between regions difficult and confusing. This is because each region around the world has implemented QR Check-Ins in different ways - this means that each user requires a different QR Check-In app for each region they visit. For example, in Australia there is a different app required for each state.
This makes it difficult for travellers, as it can be hard to know which app to use for your current location. This will lead to people skipping the check-in process entirely, which in turn leads to less effective Covid-19 outbreak tracking if one occurs.
It is in everyone's best interest that checking-in is as easy as possible.
What Is the OneQR Check-In App? How Does it Work?
When you open OneQR Check-In, a few things happen:
- OneQR will determine your current location based on your device's GPS.
- Based on your current location, OneQR will look up what your current region's local check-in app is.
- OneQR will then search your device to see if you already have your local check-in app installed.
This allows us to quickly direct you to exactly what you need:
- If your local check-in app is already installed, we’ll automatically open it for you.
- If it isn’t installed, you’ll automatically be redirected to the app store to download it.
- If OneQR can’t find your location or can’t determine your local check-in app, we open your camera to allow you to scan the QR code, which will usually redirect you
See the demo video for more details on how OneQR works.
How We Built it
- OneQR was developed using AGK Studio (https://www.appgamekit.com/studio), a development platform that allows easy cross-platform coding. This allows us to export OneQR to Android, iPhone, and even as a web app.
- The PositionStack API (https://positionstack.com/) is used to retrieve the user's country and region code based on their device's GPS coordinates.
- OneQR will attempt to match the user's country and region code against a list of local check-in apps that we’ve chosen to support.
- We tested our app on the Android OS, where we took working screenshots of the app.
- Adobe Photoshop was used for creating mockups of the app, as well as the apps graphics.
Try it Yourself!
Want to try the app yourself? We’ve made the APK file available so that those with Android devices can try out the app. Important details:
- Due to time limitations, please expect to run into some bugs depending on your specific device.
- You’ll need to also install an app that allows you to change your GPS location so that you can test OneQR, we recommend ‘Fake GPS Location’ (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexa.fakegps).
- In the demo app, only a few locations and check-in apps are supported. This includes Australia (ACT, NSW, VIC, QLD, TAS, NT), Malaysia, and Singapore. Try placing your GPS in one of these locations.
- Try it out here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tgOR6ree5rMkkrUu04icLkuUqzgz8hSm?usp=sharing
What Comes Next?
Currently, we have a working Minimum Viable Product. Even though it’s only an MVP, it’s incredibly simple to scale up to reach increasingly larger populations while still being sustainable. We can do this by:
- Expanding our list of check-in apps to cover more countries and regions. Currently, only a few countries are supported for demonstration purposes. But we can easily add more.
- Due to our chosen development platform, we’re also easily able to export the app to iPhone as well as Android. This will allow us to reach a larger audience.
We believe our app inspires confidence with the check-in process for travellers, and that our app will help to support the recovery of the APEC region’s tourism sector as COVID-19 vaccination efforts make travel more practical.