The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) defines underserved communities as populations that do not have adequate access to medical care. This includes rural, elderly, low-literacy, blue collar, and poor populations. Minorities per se are not included, but often belong to one or more or the included categories.
Based on US Center for Disease Control, there are 46 millions US citizens or 15% of Us population live in rural areas. Rural Americans are more likely to die from heart disease, cancer, unintentional injury, chronic lower respiratory disease, and stroke than their urban counterparts. Further, children in rural areas with mental, behavioral, and developmental disorders face more community and family challenges than children in urban areas with the same disorders. Thus, there is a need for better health access and that is why we built our site called "Underserved".
What it does
- Help people of underserved communities find healthcare services faster by using searching on map service that was developed using Azure Map.
- Live virtual face to face video consultation with health care consultants
- Live Transcript for hearing impaired people
- People from underserved communities can talk with our Azure Chat Bot to search for doctors, find resources for different health care issues, and get information about medicine
- Patients can upload their success stories using our services and store photos in Azure storage
- Display live photos of successfully recovered patients
How we built it
- Azure Bot Web App
- Azure Storage
- Azure Map
- Azure Q&A Maker
- Azure Language Understanding (LUIS)
- Agora SDK
Challenges we ran into
We had challenges to put everything together and deployed the chatbot
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We were able to build our app and all the services that we plan.
What we learned
- We learnt to built Azure chat bot using Botframework, Azure Q&A Maker, and Azure Language Understanding (LUIS)
- We learnt to build Azure Map
- We learnt to use Azure Storage Account to store photos
What's next for Underserved
We would like to use Azure Healthcare API to build our app