We hated having to pay 40 bucks for what is essentially a remote controller so we thought - you know how about we just build something that kids and professors will actually enjoy using?

What it does

Real time question updates from the server on the client, displaying the current question. It also supports multiple rooms at multiple times, allowing multiple professors to utilize the service at any one point in time. All information is also stored in a database in the cloud, enabling analytics further down the road.

How I built it

Jay, who is experienced in Django, decided to challenge himself by trying to do the front-end portion, while helping Joo Ho out with the back-end and making WebSockets work. Joo Ho, who has had no prior Hackathon or python experience, decided to tackle the back-end. We followed a top-down design and constantly thought about the impact our product could potentially have to university students.

Challenges I ran into

Websockets was being a real ($&%^$@& so we struggled with it for quite a bit. We were frustrated when our unfamiliarity with the language held us back.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

Our team comprises of one first-time hacker, and one first-time websocket user. So we both learned loads of new stuff. We are proud that we only slept for two hours!

What I learned

We learned how to hack. We learned how to power through and deliver.

What's next for uClickr

We plan on cleaning up the code, adding more design features, as well as coming up with additional functionalities such as graphs and images that will help students learn in the classroom.

Share this project: