Finding a place to study and concentrate can be a regular problem for students on campus. Classrooms sit empty between classes, these two elements naturally lead to our idea.
What it does
Our program alleviates a lack of viable areas to hunker down and get work done by allowing a student, or anyone else who needs a place to study, to be able to locate a classroom that is not going to be used for awhile, so that they can use said room for studying.
How we built it
Our program scrapes data from an available UB's course catalog and uses it to create a database of times when any particular room is not occupied.
Challenges we ran into
A considerable amount of time was spent on deciding what direction we should go with our project. Creating a course of action for said idea also took a good amount of time, but once things got going, it went pretty smoothly.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We think we have an original idea, and we iterated over it multiple times in sudo-code before we started coding. By the time the code started, our ideas were very solid. There was a moment when we were all going through our ideas on a white board and we started to get this feeling of "yeah! this is hacking!".
What we learned
Though it's not necessarily the fastest, for a project like this, python and the things that are supported by it can be incredibly useful, and can make complex ideas viable in a short period of time. Also, sudo-code and planning can be a very useful tools.
What's next for Finding rooms to study: chronological tracker.
We expand our program to work with universities other than UB.