We wanted to do something that combined a variety of APIs. Also we thought a tool to analyze photos on your phone would be nice. This way you can just text an image and get results back.
What it does
This project uses Twilio and the Google API to process images sent by a user. The code to process the Twilio requests is running on a Lincode server. A user sends an image to our specified Twilio number and gets back the text in that image.
Process: 1) A user sends an image to the Twilio phone number. Phone Number is :(845) 999-3027.
2) Twilio stores that image to a url which is available in the request message.
3) Next we get the MediaURL from the request message and download the actual image.
4) The image is then passed on to the Google Vision API and a process is run to detect text in the image.
5) Once the analysis is finished, a string is returned.
6) The returned string is sent back to the user using Twilio.
How we built it
Languages: Python API: Google Vision API -Analyzes images sent by the user. Twilio API - Receives the image from the user and returns the analysis. Server: Linode Server-Runs the python script to handle the Twilio send and receive. It also handles the calls to the Google Vision API.
Challenges we ran into
We ran into some issues when getting the image from Twilio. We also had some issues getting the results back from the Google Vision API.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We are proud that we were able to get everything working together.
What we learned
Learned how to use Twilio and the Google Vision API.
What's next for Twilio Image Analyzer
Allow the user to send a message along with the image to specify what type of analysis they want done on the image since the Google Vision API can analyze an image a variety of ways.