A Twitter Bot to track Trieuloo's League of Legends games
Tools and Services:
Amazon AWS (EC2) GitHub <3
After months of quarantine, the three of us have been playing video games everyday for hours. While we may only still be ranked low, one of our friends, Trieuloo, is climbing the solo queue ranks in the video game, League of Legends. As of September 19, 2020, Trieuloo is a Grandmaster League of Legends player - out of the 2,046,767 players in North America, Trieuloo is ranked 437 meaning he is 0.0214% of top. We wanted to create a twitter app that encourages as well as throws friendly banter at our friend as he climbs the Solo Queue Ladder.
What we learned
Through working on this project, we learned how APIs are able to cooperate with one another to create a much more complete and complex application. We learned how to work efficiently by delegating tasks based on our individual strengths. We learned how to research our issues and seek help for our bugs.
How we built it:
- Retrieve Trieuloo's most recent game information in Riot.js
- Get Account ID & SummonerId
- Get recent match
- Get match data (includes current rank)
- Pass Information to messages.js and create the tweet message
- Pass the message to twitterbot.js and tweet it out from the bot
Challenges we faced:
- Learning to use promises. - we never used promises and could not export modules using async functions
- Hosting a server - we ran into issues with using Heroku and ended up unable to solve it; we pivoted to EC2 instead =)
- Parsing JSON - we struggled to retrieve the correct data using JSON; we had to debug several times.
Accomplishments that we're proud of:
- Creating a working application in only 48 hours, while using numerous APIs for the first time.
- Creating an app that our friend can use.
- Planning and working together on the spot, helping each other find efficient solutions
- Participated in our first hackathon!
What’s next for the project
Down the line we hope to add onto the project, such as giving daily recaps for Trieuloo’s games on top of tweeting after each individual game. After that, we would love to make the app more efficient, particularly by only posting whenever new data is retrieved from the Riot Games API, rather than checking for new data every so often and only posting when new data is found.
All messages directed toward Trieuloo have been consented to. Trieuloo Twitter Tracker isn't endorsed by Riot Games and doesn't reflect the views or opinions of Riot Games or anyone officially involved in producing or managing Riot Games properties. Riot Games, and all associated properties are trademarks or registered trademarks of Riot Games, Inc.