Trash Hunt

Inspiration

Many of us in the group were initially talking about how we were concerned about the environment. This led us to talk about how it influenced our everyday lives; One of us is trying to help the environment by dumpster diving regularly, to try to reduce the amount of (perfectly fine) food that is being thrown out everyday by supermarkets. Another one likes to collect second hand items, to avoid waste, and a third person finds it way too hard/troublesome to recycle trash and bottles.

We wanted to find a solution that could help/cater to our problems. Because it is not mainstream to make an active effort in being environmentally, we wanted to make an app/provide a tool to give incentive to start recycling.

What It Does

We have built a community of trash hunters to promote reuse of materials and reduce waste. Earn points and become a legend!

You can start today posting anything you have to take out of your house. Try our fast and smart upload, you are just one click for giving new life to and old item.

This application uses Cloudinary for management of your Treasures, with AI image recognition to help you add your item without a hasle.

How We Built It and Which Technologies We Used

The main technology we used to create our application was ReactJS. Firebase for hosting the app. We also used Cloudinary for the database behind the app and image recognition. The design was made in Adobe Illustrator and the Adobe Suite.

Challenges Along the Way, and the Lessons We Have Learned

Our biggest problem was that we were with a React based environment, which was a problem since our image recognition was written in python. These two languages are difficult to fuse together, and we, sadly, lacked the time and knowledge to be able to do that. From this problem we learned that we should have agreed, from the beginning, some base languages and technologies to work with, to avoid running in to these integration/implementation intricacies.

We also ran into trouble with the infrastructure of our project, and we didn't know enough about Cloudinary. Because most of the features in the Cloudinary is backend based, and our app was mainly a frontend approach. Thus, making some problems. The lesson from this dilemma was to have made a high-level architecture to have a good idea of what technologies to use, what to make, and where to go.

Accomplishments We're Proud of

To have a beautiful working prototype of our web application, that we can show to people. And not only have faked all of the technologies we are pretending to use.

A strong and well-considered concept to work from. We spent most of friday evening to think about the problem, and the accompanying solution for it.

Instantly it felt like there was a great group dynamic, which led to a natural distribution of the workload. We also agreed on roles that fit our capabilities, so we would have the most fun hacking throughout the weekend. This also meant that everyone was encouraged to work hard/and to contribute to all aspects of the project. Thus we felt confident that everyone did their part.

Future Work

There is a lot of the feature in the concept that still needs to be implemented. However, that does not mean that the app is not working. But if we had the time and resources to actually realise this product, the main things would be: To create a fully functioning backend, where we store the items on a server, where we also have the accounts and chatsystem and so forth. Those are the most essential things, there are also smaller features such as the points system and achievements etc. which are the gamification part.

Share this project:
×

Updates