Truckers are the movers and shakers of the India's economy. They are the backbone of the freight transportation sector. Yet it is one of the highly unorganized sectors in India. From being paid paltry sums to unrealistic delivery schedules, they brave it day in and day out to make our economy reach greater heights!!
Nearly a quarter of the jobs in India are linked to the logistics industry, with road logistics occupying the majority share. Yet, the sector has historically been plagued by entrenched interests of a network of middlemen and small operators, limiting free exchange of information for other participants (e.g., truck owners/operators). Almost all parties, including truckers, transporters, retailers, and mechanics, complain of a ‘fickle ecosystem’, leading to an inherent trust deficit in the sector.
Considering their importance, TransportHub is building a marketplace with verifiable credentials for all parties using the Affinidi Platform to increase transparency and information flow. The aim of TransportHub is to digitize documents such as lorry receipts, driver information, consignee, consigner, and transporter. The platform also aims to give participants visibility to the entire process with digital authentication.
In the current POC, we did not restrict the information flow among participants and our architecture supports to share only required information. For example, a consigner does not wish to share personal information of consignee with lorry receipt to driver. In this case, driver will only get the handful of information to carry out his duty.
What it does
- Using TransportHub platform Transporter, Consigner, Consignee and Driver registers themselves against respective role.
- First, Transporter generates new Lorry Receipt (LR) which contains information about the transporter’s name and address, consignor name (seller or sender of the goods), date of booking of the goods for transport, name of the consignee, name of place of origin and destination, description of goods, no of packages, weight & payment details.
- Transporter marks the LR status as ‘Booked’.
- Transporter shares newly generated LR details (digital copy) with Consigner, Consignee and Driver separately for approval.
- Transporter also holds LR digital copy with himself/herself via self-approval & auto-save process.
- Consigner, Consignee and Driver login to TransportHub portal to check and verify LR details before providing approval.
- Post approval Consigner, Consignee and Driver can save the Lorry receipt details in their respective digital wallet account.
- All the participants are now holding verifiable presentation of LR which is now secure, tamper-proof, and issued by a valid authority (transporter) and is machine verifiable which cannot be lost, tampered, or duplicated.
- Next, Lorry Receipt life cycle events gets started as depicted in life cycle event diagram; (attached in project image gallery section)
- Police officer / any legal authorities are the middleman who verifies the LR details and ensures that it is coming from a competent issuer (transporter).
- Using TransportHub portal, driver can share the LR details with verifier for verification by generating QR code.
- Police officer / any legal authorities can verify LR details via QR code scanner and ensures that it is coming from a competent issuer (transporter).
How we built it
- On TransportHub portal, all participants register with full name, mobile no, address, role (transporter/consigner/consignee) and password.
- Post successful registration, participants sign in with registered mobile no, role and password.
- Transporter as an Issuer first sign-in and generate new lorry receipt using CargoReceiptCredentialV1 verifiable credentials generator.
- Transporter creates 4 VCs (For self, consigner, driver & consignee) and generate sharable URLs against respective role.
- VC Credential Holders (transporter, consigner, driver & consignee) login and check the shared Lorry Receipt VC details (not approved state). Note - Transporter auto approves and stores own VC details in cloud wallet as an Issuer & Holder.
- All the holders can view the not approved VC details and underneath Lorry Receipt details before approval.
- Holders approve & store VC details in their respective digital wallet.
- As a Verifier, Police officer/legal authority verifies the verifiable presentation from the holders to determine Lorry receipt’s authenticity via QR code scanner.
- In this way, TransportHub system covers end to end flow for all the roles i.e. Holder, Issuer & Verifier.
Challenges we ran into
- Transportation & Logistics use case matching with Verifiable Credentials concept and covering all the possible scenarios to mitigate real world problem. 1.1. During design and solutioning, whether to use single VC for multiple holders or multiple VCs per holders. 1.2. All the participants should have separate VC approval process. 1.3. All the participants should be able to show only their respective VC details during verification process.
- Challenges were overcome by maintaining multiple verifiable credentials for multiple holders and individual approval process.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- There will be no hurdle for Driver as HOLDER during goods transportation as VERIFIER can verify the verifiable presentation against individual holder to determine the Lorry receipt’s authenticity.
- Lorry receipt as Verifiable Credentials will also eliminate driver in need scam, fake government officials as verifier, false freight claims and out of state transportation verification problems.
- All the SSI Roles (Issuer, Holder, Verifier) end to end functionality has been implemented.
What we learned
- Importance and Use of Verifiable credentials
- How to use VC in Transportation & Logistics sector
- Multiple holders keep control and ownership over their individual identity.
- This process gives array of benefits for businesses, governments, and individuals alike to improve trust and accountability, improve security, reduce frauds, and drive administrative efficiencies.
- No more tedious back-and-forth between verifiers and issuers.
What's next for TRANSPORTHUB
TransportHub - Business Process Model attached in project gallery section (TH-LR-Business Process Model v1.0).
- Mobile Apps to be launched for all the participants (transporter, consigner, consignee, and driver) and legal authorities for scanning & verifying Lorry Receipt details.
- The POC can be integrated with Indiastack eKYC Service to get KYC verification of drivers, license eligibility for heavy load, valid insurance, permit to operate, vehicle fitness check (to be integrated with relevant transport system).
- Integration with GoodWorker platform for verifiable credentials of drivers which can be leveraged for our marketplace. The verifiable credentials will help drivers to secure jobs, insurance and banking facilities based on their experience.
- The system will get integrated with GSP (GST Suvidha Provider) system to facilitate Goods and Service Tax Integration for smoother interstate transit.