Tradewinds is a distributed multiplayer turn-based naval trade game, in which players control ships that transport goods in an attempt to make as much money as possible. At Hack Cambridge we built the core of the game - a server built using Azure Function Apps and a SQL database with a simple client implementation.

Inspiration

For a long time we wanted to build a distributed multiplayer game, and this hackathon seemed like the perfect opportunity to make it and learn about Azure function apps at the same time.

Challenges we ran into

We had some issues with conflicting data types and getting the function apps to communicate with the SQL database, but after working hard we managed to overcome those issues and build a functional API.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Even though we ended up with some features unimplemented, even on our bare-bones model, we still learned an immense amount - none of us had worked with SQL or Azure function apps before, and getting the front-end client to interface with the server was a unique and interesting challenge. We also learned more about authenticating users to our system, by generating session tokens associated with the user.

What's next for Tradewinds

We hope to build tradewinds into a fully fledged game, using our work at Hack Cambridge as a starting point. We will

Built With

Share this project:

Updates