Mental health is often an overlooked and stigmatized issue in many developing countries despite its prevalence. According to a World Health Organisation (WHO) Report, major or minor mental illnesses requiring expert intervention is 7.5 percent of India’s population. Also, estimates show that of roughly 60 million people with mental illnesses, about 90 percent are currently not receiving treatment in India. The Covid-19 pandemic has highlighted the urgent need for reinvestment in mental health, as altered daily routines, financial pressures, extensive social isolation, and information overload continue to take their toll on mental health.
However, studies show that the population has begun to take mental health seriously, with 90% of survey respondents agreeing that mental health should be given as much consideration as physical health. Nonetheless, several physical and social infrastructural weaknesses in the system exist, resulting in:
1) One in seven Indians were affected by mental disorders of varying severity. The proportional contribution of mental disorders to the total disease burden in India has almost doubled since 1990. Substantial variations exist between states in the burden of different mental disorders and their trends over time.
2) Many mental health issues ending up getting detected and diagnosed too late, leading to poorer outcomes and increased mortality, and
3) Patients who do end up seeking professional help end up with extremely infrequent appointments, due to India’s severe shortage of licensed psychiatrists (1 per 334,000 people). This leads to patients having difficulty recounting what has happened since their last appointments, and overworked providers who may have difficulty keeping track of patient records.
We witnessed a huge gap with the needs and the existing solutions hence, created How You Doin'?
💻 What it does
After downloading the extension (for right now, downloading the repository from Github and uploading it to Developer Mode in Extensions), users pin How You Doin', which has the icon of a smiley face. When clicked on, the responsive navigation bar with "Calendar," "History" "Overview" and "Profile" appears along with four animated emojis that represent moods - happy, sad, mad, and alright.
View Video for a More Accurate View
Everything is saved with local storage, even when the extension is paused or removed.
🔨 How we built it
🧠 Challenges we ran into
• Time constraints, figuring out how to successfully incorporate all the features we wanted. • We were using Chrome Storage API for the first time and had a hard time figuring out its functionalities
🏅 Accomplishments that we're proud of
We are proud that we can create a solution that can help our generation and anybody who is facing any problem with their mental health.
📖 What we learned
🚀 What's next for How You Doin'?
• We plan to add Sentiment Analysis using Natural Language Processing to the mood description of the person. • We also plan to read the major problems from the mood description and provide the solution according to the most frequent problems.