Landing Page, welcome to TourGather!
Browse through new and existing locations
Check out the photos and details of the location
View the map and list of tour guides available
Add new locations to the database
List of tour guide profiles
Tour guide information, including their rating and bio
Calendar to schedule tours
There are a lot of things to do before we go on a trip. We want to visit the best spots and go on a memorable adventure. Itinerary planning can be challenging if this is our first time visiting the place. To get inspiration, we read travel blogs and watch videos online. Sometimes asking a local can give us good suggestions and important things to take note of.
As such, we’ve decided to create a web app, TourGather, to help us find helpful locals to give us a tour of the destination.
🔍 What it does
- Interested tourists can view attractions, find local tour guides and book a tour with them.
- TourGather is your one-stop app for booking free tour guides. It helps tourists connect with local tour guides. With TourGather, you can visit cities with a tour guide of your choice.
- In the Browse Locations section you can browse through the various tour locations, and see what each location has to offer. A map is provided to give you a better idea of where the tour attractions are located. Below are the list of tour guides that can bring you touring to that location. You can view their profile for more information on the tour guides.
- In the Tour guide section, you can view the list of active tour guides and search for specific ones. You can compare the ratings of the different tour guides.
- In the Itinerary section, tour guides can add their scheduled tours to ensure they do not double book. Under weeks or day, tour guides can view their scheduled tours for that week/day
Let's go TourGather!
🔧 How we built it
- React for the frontend
- Nodejs for the backend
- Firebase for database and authentication
- MaterialUI and Bootstrap for frontend components
🏃♂️ Challenges we ran into
- Getting Firebase authentication to work with our application
- Uploading images from the user and storing them into Firebase Storage
- Reading and writing data from the database
- Accidentally exceeding Firebase limits, which caused our web app to break, and then having to figure out how to set up everything again on another account for the demo, which was time-consuming and stressful as we were nearing the end of the hackathon.
- Different installation of software versions among the team. This resulted in package dependency issues during integration.
🏅 Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Creating a fully functional web app with React and Nodejs
🧠 What we learned
- Learning how to use React to create a frontend
- Learning how to use Firebase to authenticate users
- Learning how to upload an image file onto Firebase Storage
⏭️ What's next for TourGather
- Real-time chat function so that interested tourists can easily contact the tour guide within the app
- GPS that enables both tourist and tour guide to track their location before and during the tour
- Further improvement on the calendar
- Personally create our own calendar as it will provide us with much more customisation
- Prerecorded videos whereby tourists can tour digitally or preview the tours available
- Function that allows the Intinerary calendar to be synced on all the devices showing their upcoming tours