In Australia, 1 in 4 children is suffering from dental issues as they don't brush their teeth properly. The biggest reason is that children don't like brushing their teeth. And it could be a real pain for parents to make their children do it.
What it does
A toothbrush handle attachment is detecting their hand movement during the brushing process. The attachment will be connected to the App through Bluetooth. The app can guide kids brush their teeth more effective with the help of a cartoon character and some fun built-in games. It also enables their parents to monitor the brushing effectiveness through the recorded data (frequency, duration and accuracy). Parents will have a choose to join our membership. If so, their children's tooth brushing data will be sent to the dentist and receive a monthly professional report.
How we built it
- Food grade silicone rubber toothbrush attachment base.
- Embedded chip integrated with gyroscope, low-energy Bluetooth chip and power indicator.
- We build the 3D model prototype of our product on Blender.
- Use Sketch to draw the mobile app user interface.
- Use C# on Xamarin to develop a cross-platform mobile application.
Mobile app four main functions:
- Game and game market.
- Review toothbrush data.
- Membership system.
- Feedback and report.
Challenges we ran into
- It is hard to find a trustworthy manufacturer which has the ability to make the product we need.
- We were having difficulties to find an appropriate design to fit all types of toothbrush handles.
- Picking the distribution channel was a big challenge in Australian offline market.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We have successfully designed the toothbrush attachment hardware by Blender.
- We have successfully designed the app prototypes with user interface by Sketch.
- We have found good raw material supplier and manufacturer in Shenzhen China through Alibaba.com.
- We have designed a great business model to fit the need of our market.
What we learned
- How to develop a business model of a project.
- How to do user research and market research.
- How to work like team.
- How to do user-centered design.
What's next for Tooth Fairy
We are keen to develop the 2nd generation product. It will be a toothbrush integrated with a micro ultrasonic sensor brush head which could scan and build up a 3D oral picture for each user.
We will improve the productivity of our hardware and focus on the offline distribution channel such as Woolworths, Coles, ChemistWarehouse.
We will start to cooperate with dental clinic and health insurance company.