I have seen many amazing effects that are created by others on SparkAR. Hence, I wanted to create a fun and interactive game that could entertain users while they stay at home during this pandemic crisis. I started building my first blinking game on SparkAR for pride2020. Soon after my curiosity grew and that's when I've made this attempt to create an interactive world effect Whack A Mole Game. In addition, I wanted to test myself on how much I've learned, and what other things I could create.
What it does
Whack A Mole AR, simulates the concept of an arcade whack a mole game by using the back-facing camera and real-world effect. Upon commencement of the game, the player would be given 20 seconds to hit as many moles as possible.
How I built it
- I build my low-poly moles, and mole holes by using the blender software.
- Once that was done it was time to make my characters move up and down at a fixed position and to make it reset when it is tapped.
- Following that, was to create a countdown timer, and a simple script to count the scores.
- Once that was done, it was time to place the environment to cover up the moles. and to include audio.
Challenges I ran into
The scripting of the score only allows one input however, I have five moles that needed to be counted when tapped. I solve this by using the "Add" patch and "Value" patch for verification. (i.e. (mole 1 += mole 2)(mole 3 += mole4), after grouping the scores together, I simply add the total together until I get 1 single output. which I then connect it to display.
I have never drawn or created anything using the blender software. I found it to be rather challenging.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- I am extremely proud of this game, as Ii was able to make this into a working concept.
- The fact that I was able to solve the scoring issue, on my own.
- To be able to create low-poly characters by using blender.
What I learned
- Practice helps to improve my understanding and to be able to think about the logic of something that I'm creating.
- Patience, as frustrated as I get when I face an issue. I would always stop for a while, look back at the other effects that I have created, and figure out a way to solve the issue.
- curiosity, always have a curious mind on how to create a new idea, or to simply and improve a certain way of doing things.
- Learning new things, learning is part of our everyday life, it gives us experience, and helps to improve our skill.
What's next for Whack_A_Mole_AR
As this game is a simple one. I believe that there are many more things that could be done to further improve the game.
- To create an option where players are allowed to make the selection of the characters before starting the game.
- To make random characters to appear at a random location. each carrying different points.
- To create a high scoreboard that displays other player's score.